8.21.2008

The quest for color.


Still moving along on my color quest. I'm far less afraid to do these things without reference it seems, and they are way more fun. Still mostly just experimenting some more. Felt like doing a ship, and this isn't what i had planned but the minute i sat down I started to throw out some more abstract shapes and got this on. Wish it was more interesting, but I painted myself into a corner with the composition. Every time I added something it just got too crowded.  Next one will be a person for sure. Hopefully a cowboy. Just watched firefly and serenity for the first time recently... and I have to draw something like that. HAVE TO.


Little baby steps. I have no idea what I'm doing. Mostly experimenting. I want to do an interior or something, but my tablet is pretty much broken at this point and drawing the tiniest of straight lines takes far too many retries. Have two wild west things coming along/not... may post a WIP for some help and fake praise so I can push on. I did this to have some fun and save some sanity.

Edit: had to add the border because my colors weren't looking good against white. At this point I look like a complete jake murray wannabe, but it had to be done.

7 comments:

Jake Murray said...

Looking good so far. I love the textures and you've got the atmospheric perspective going on pretty well. I might suggest some sort of light (maybe red?) coming from inside the building to help draw a little more attention to it. Doesn't have to be bright, but just something I think. I'd like to see just a bit more defined forms as well - perhaps more in the foreground. And don't sweat the black border - it helps. :P

Patrick Butler said...

I think it's really interesting the difference you and Jake have with your landscapes. Both are extremely good, but in totally different ways. Jake's is much more precise,while yours is much more free form and...painterly would be the word I suppose. It really, really reflects your style. You have a talent for setting the mood, kudos!

Mike Puncekar said...

I had actaully ythought about throwing some color around that temple, but I thought it would be kind of a nice surprise. I tried to really hint at it by pointing a fair amount of landscape right at it along with some brushstrokes. I didn't use reference, and it was all just spontaneous shapes at first mostly, so to be honest... I'm not even sure what would be in the foreground and that why I gave it some super basic lighting and just left it haha.

Thanks for the words guys, much appreciated. I just did another speedpainting, but photoshop crashed and I'm not sure what I saved it as or where it saved... so I have to go look for it.

Kevin Havens said...

Congrats on finally seeing Serenity and Firefly, now join the rest of us in hating fox with a bitter, bitter passion. The same Fox trying to ruin not just Wolverine, but Watchmen.....

Mike Puncekar said...

I heard about that. Bunch of bollocks. The really just screwed joss whedon over. And now the future again relies on dvd sales. Although I already bought the firefly dvd set... Serenity collector's edition is next. The extras are awesome. Or I just want more, just that badly.

Jake Murray said...

Hah. Just rewatched the first episode of Firefly for like the ninetieth time. For all the rest of the junkies out there, there's also a graphic novel that sets the stage for Serenity and, if you can find it online, the script for the unfilmed 14th episode. Good good stuff!

Concerning the new piece, I love the strokes and the textures, but I'm having trouble discerning exactly what I'm looking at in terms of subject matter. Maybe I'm just completely missing something.

Mike Puncekar said...

Rachel pointed that out, and was like, I can't tell what the heck is going on. I pointed it out and every thing... nope. Seems I have to go back into that one. She'll smile reading that becaus eI couldn't see how she couldn't see it, but of course... I did make it haha.

Post a Comment