11.19.2008

The Red Scare

Hey guys, i just noticed that the theme has changed so i figured i would go for it.  Awesome theme Mike and it's good to hear that oondu is getting so much press.  Well this is some of my Czarist collection.  This first piece is a oil painting that i started this summer and just haven't been able to get back to it, with school and all.  The piece is of a russian fighter and it's about 80% done but i'm at a serious standstill right now and i can't figure out how i want to finish it.  So i need some feed and ideas.  The second piece is just a self portrait of me with the USSR flag behind me.  I did this last year in painter, so when i saw the new theme i decided to post it.  Thanks




2 comments:

Mike Puncekar said...

I may have commented on these on your blog... but i think i just proclaimed you a communist. SO...

I really like the first one and if you asked me, it's say it's done. At least it looks done in this photo/scan of it. I have no idea how you did what you did, but that technique looks great! I've seen the fighter before in photos. I couldn't tell you his name, but the likeness is just about perfect. Really it's just really well done portrait. I could argue that the decorations are a bit distracting, but they don't really bother me, and the more i look at it, the more they grow on me.

Liking the second one too, but it just doesn't hav the uncanny polish of the first one, so I can't really like it as much now that i know you are really just an oils machine.

Dave Armstrong said...

scowling AND communism?! It's a regular Patrick Moore wonderland in this post!

Besides accusing you of being a big red menace, I wanted to say that I've looked at that painting of Alex for about three months now, and I have to agree with Mike. What else you have planned for that thing is beyond me. I think the colors look a lot better in person, but I think the shadows on the neck folds are looking a little sloppy to me...but that's really searching for something wrong with the piece. I would also suggest a few more mid tones...but I really think that's just the photo...

Congrats, comrade. I expect at least 3 more posts from you about this subject

Post a Comment